The most common form of tooth illness is the so called caries caused by a corrosion of the hard substance of a tooth.
Caries is the corrosion of the hard substance of a tooth caused by bacterial acid. Caries is world-wide the most common illness and particularly widespread in developed countries. The main reason being a high consumption of sugar and insufficient mouth hygiene.
On our webpage you will find a lot of information on caries:
- General information about caries
- Formation of caries
- Treatment of caries holes
- Caries prophylaxis and caries risk assessment by the dentist
- Induration of teeth with fluorides
Parodontitis is an inflammation process accompanied by a degradation of the bone. Several factors are responsible for the formation of parodontitis. If an active parodontitis is not treated, parodontitis can sooner or later lead to an early loss of all teeth.
- Bacterial causes (most commen cause) usually caused by insufficient mouth hygiene
- Mechanical causes caused by caries, badly adjusted fillings or tooth substitutes
- Hormonal causes caused for example during a pregnancy or puberty.
- Toxic causes caused for example by a mercurial toxication
- Accompaniments of a general illness (diabetes, HIV etc.)
Evidence of a gingivitis is a swollen and reddened gum which starts to bleed if touched. Usually gingivitis is accompanied by strong halitosis (bad breath). After the plaque has been removed by a thorough cleaning of the teeth, the signs of inflammation will wear off again.
A untreated Gingivitis will most often result into Parodotitis!